You are going to LOVE this dish!
I have a really tasty and EASY recipe using Hillshire Farms Sausage that the whole family will love!
Smoked Sausage and Kielbasa is delicious when cooked together with potatoes. There is something about the mix of flavors that is wonderful on the taste buds! My mother is from Louisiana, so I have a lot of cajun influences in my cooking and I love my food well seasoned. The combination of ingredients and seasoning in this dish are just perfect to me, it is not spicy, but extremely flavorful.
This is an simplified version of my Cheesy Cajun Sausage Tator Casserole that I previously posted. Hillshire Farms came out with a Cajun Smoked Sausage and PictSweet has a wonderful seasoning veggie blend which made it even easier to make!! In this recipe I used half Cajun Style Andouille Smoked Sausage and Half Beef Smoked sausage for the flavoring but you can use regular Keilbasa, Turkey Sausage or any other type you like, it is all good! By using the seasoned sausage I was able to eliminate the need to use any additional seasoning. The PictSweet Onion / Pepper blend adds a nice twist too. If you only want to use onions as in the original recipe they also have bagged chopped onion which makes it super fast to add to the dish as well, try it, you will love their products!
Prep time: 10 minutes max
Preparing this dish was really easy for me. In all fairness though, I want to mention that I use a Vidalia Chop Wizard for my potatoes. If you haven’t ever seen one of these, you should really check it out. I have used mine for YEARS and can’t imagine having to chop up potatoes or veggies for soup or stews by hand. Basically, you peel the veggies that you are going to use, put on the chopper and press down. It quickly cuts the veggie into perfect size pieces. I am not sure if it is designed for potatoes since it is called a “Vidalia Chopper” but I have used it for years on potatoes and every other kind of veggie out there. I also use it for eggs when making egg salad and cheese for bite size chunks. You can pick these up on Amazon for $19.50 with free prime shipping. It is worth it to buy the original, the copy cat doesn’t get great reviews. This is what mine looks like, you will see it in one of my prep photos as well:
- FIVE Medium Size Potatoes
- One Package of Hillshire Farm Smoked or Kielbasa Sausage
- One package of PictSweet Seasoning Blend
If you don’t like peppers and other seasoning vegetables they also have a chopped onion blend that works great too!
- Olive Oil (or vegetable oil if necessary)
- Salt & Pepper to season
- ONE and a half cup Shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel Potatoes and cut into bite size pieces (not too big)
- Add PictSweet Seasoning Blend to taste, I use approx 3/4 cup
- Salt & Pepper generously to taste
- Slice Hillshire Farm Sausage into small bite size pieces. I have found that if the sausage is almost frozen it is easiest to slice into small pieces or use kitchen shears to cut up.
- For easy cleanup I coat the pan with a little olive oil before adding ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together by hand in pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil
- Place in oven and cook for 60 minutes uncovered. We like ours to be well cooked with the onions cooked down and the potatoes nice and soft with a little crispy edge on the sausage and potatoes so make sure that your potatoes are fully cooked. It may take a little more or a little less depending on the type and texture of the potatoes that you use as well as the size that you cut them.
- After 60 minutes, remove from the oven and turn the oven on HIGH BROIL. Sprinkle the cheese on top and place back into the oven for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You can use more cheese if you prefer, I find that a cup and a half is more than enough for this dish for my family.
Let cool for just a few minutes before serving to allow the cheese to settle and ENJOY!