Tis the season of love, and there is no better time than to help your family find ways to show love and appreciation for each other. This Love in a Jar activity makes it easy for children to get more active with other family members through kind deeds and words. You only need a few simple dollar store supplies to make this activity, and it is sure to provide valuable lessons that you can enjoy all year long. Take a peek below at how to get started so you can enjoy some frugal family fun this weekend!
Frugal Family Fun: Love in a Jar Activity
Small jar or candle holder
Valentine’s themed ribbon
Assorted foam heart table scatter
We were able to find all three of these supplies at our local dollar store, making our total cost for the project just $3. Now that is some frugal family fun everyone can enjoy!
1. Begin by cutting a length of ribbon and wrapping around your jar. You can then use your craft glue to secure it into place.
2. Place the foam hearts in the jar. Give them a good stir!
3. Each morning, or after your evening meal, allow each family member to take one of the hearts from the jar. Each heart should represent a good deed or kind word they would like to share with another family member.
4. As each person removes a heart, they are to tell what kind words or deeds they showed that day, or what kind words or deeds they plan on showing that day. Return the heart to the jar.
5. Take a moment to look at all of the hearts in the jar. Explain to children how it represents the love that is in this family. A full jar shows the love the family has for each other in words and actions.
When children need a little love or pick me up, send one of the hearts with them to school or in a lunch box. They can also stir the hearts with a finger or straw to find a little love and inspiration!
See how easy it is to enjoy some frugal family fun that encourages positive interactions with each other? Give this Love in a Jar activity a try and you are sure to have some great results! When you do, share with us on the Facebook page or Community Chat page.
Happy family fun time!