Monday, March 17th is St. Patrick’s Day so it is time to get ready with this tasty treat!
When I was growing up, my mom always did something special on every holiday and one of the things that I remember was her DELICIOUS Mint Chocolate Cupcakes on St Patty’s Day! I am not a big mint eater, but there is something really good about a moist chocolate cupcake with a light and fluff frosting with a touch of mint. If you haven’t tried it yet, you should! It is a tasty combination!!
I have never been one to make frosting from scratch, but this recipe makes it super simple and fun to do with the kids! Pick up some glittery clover decorations at the dollar store like shown in my photo above and everyone will feel Lucky as a Leprechaun!
MINT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
(Makes up to 24 cupcakes)
1 box of chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients called for on the box, i.e. eggs, oil & water)
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bag of Andes mints
Green food coloring
- Make cake batter according to box instructions. Evenly divide into cupcake liners.
- Bake cupcakes according to box instructions. Allow to cool in pans 15 minutes before frosting.
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, scraping down sides of bowl between additions.
- Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, and then mix in both peppermint and vanilla extracts.
- For mint green color, add 6-8 drops of green food coloring into the frosting until you reach your desired shade of green.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with an Andes mint
Let me know if you decide to try this recipe!
It is super easy and super fun to help celebrate St. Patty’s Day!!